Stage one complete

Stage one complete
English Channel

Monday, July 21, 2014

Bear Lake Swim and a New Coach!

I swam the route for the Bear Lake Monster swim with Gords on Friday Morning. It was a great swim. I felt pretty good in the water  for not swimming for quite some time, but I was slow... really slow compared to Gords. I have been in a mental funk for quite some time trying to figure out what the heck was wrong and it hit me like a ton of crap. I just need to pull my head out of my butt and get to work. Bear lake was the kick that I needed and now I have help from a great Friend and a true Open Water Legend Mr. Gordon Gridley!

Last night I was emailing Gords back and fourth and he was going to meet me at 24 hour fitness to help me out. I got there at 4 am and Gords was shortly behind me. We went in and did 1000 warm up and then he asked if I had ever done a CSS test. I had read about it for Josh's post and then I did the test. it goes like this

400 timed swim fast (5:55)
recover set 300 drill (I had to ask what he ment by drill)
200 Back
4 x 75's free on 1:15
200 timed swim fast (2:48)

My CSS time worked out to be 1:33

now Gords said we were going to do a variation of the Red Mist Work out and this is what I did

1800 - 3 x 600's CSS + 6 (10 minutes)
1600 - 4 x 400's CSS + 5 (6:30)
200 easy

Total 6000 SCY

I really am happy that Gords has taken time from his busy schedule in order to help me succeed in the Channel. I truly am blessed to have awesome people in my corner who are there for me. P.S. this was the first structured work out I have done since High School and it really kicked my BUTT. I am now looking at picking up some needed speed and get I higher stroke count.

No comments:

Post a Comment