Stage one complete

Stage one complete
English Channel

Monday, July 2, 2012

Back to the Water

I got back in the water after not swimming since the GSL race. I have been out of town working and there is nowhere to swim in Battle Moutian Nevada. I met Lang at the GSL marina at about 9:15 am and I had been reading all of the posts and blogs about the bugs at the GSL but I did not think it was going to be as bad as it ended up. we took off out of the marina and headded towards Black Rock and I was feeling really good for not swimming for a while. as I was going the water was getting from clear to really murky, when I would lift my head up to sight I could see the layer of Brine Eggs in the top 1/4 inch of water. no big deal until it kept getting thicker and thicker as I got closer to Black Rock. I stopped about 75 yards before I got to the beach because I was in awe of how thick the eggs got. they were clumping up all around me. I got a drink and started to swim back to the marina. I had to keep stopping to clear the eggs from my goggles and to hack up a few flies I was taking on as I would breathe. I looked up and Lang was headding back to the marina as fast as he could go. I think the bugs were eatting him alive. I swam out into the lake farther to get away from all the eggs and when I got closer to the marina it again started to clear up. I figured I swam about 3/4 of a mile in a gravy like substance and probabally ate my weight in protien. I chalked it up to another unique swim in the GSL. total of about a 2 mile swim but not nearly as far as I wanted to go. If Im going to swim the 10 mile event at Deer Creek next month I really need to get my butt into gear with my training. I also want to mention a person that I have met this year named Goody Tyler he swam the Catilina Channel last Monday and he did somthing that I dont know that I could ever do. HE made me realize how awesome of a journey he went on swimming for 15 hours in the channel. Goody you are like a robot and I am glad I know a great swimmer like you. Also Gordon Gridley will be swimming the English Channel next month. I would like to wish him all the luck in the world in completing his dream swim! and Just likes Goody's swim I wish I could be there for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment