Stage one complete

Stage one complete
English Channel

Monday, August 13, 2012

Deer Creek 10 mile swim


This swim was an epic swim to say the least. I got to Deer Creek at about 6:30 and got my race packet. I went over to the restroom to get changed and to start to get ready. Lang showed up and we got the boat ready to go. I gave him some instructions on what I wanted for my feedings and that I wanted to keep them to about a minute or less and about every 45 minutes. I had a chance to talk to Goody for a bit as well as Greg and a few other swimmers that I know. We made our way into the water and had to wait for another paddler to show up then the timers were sorting out a problem. So we had more time to talk to the 10 mile swimmers. Everything and everybody was ready and the horn sounded to start. I started off at a slow pace trying to get into a good rhythm and before I knew it I was at the 5k turn around marker I was feeling really good at this point and my first feeding went off fast. As I swam past the 10k turn around marker I looked up to sight and saw a boat come speeding by really close to us and the wake capsized the gal that was in a canoe. Lang got to shore to help her get going again and I just kept swimming along. I made it to the marker that said Keep Going on it and took another feeding, by this time my left shoulder had started to get really sore I just kept saying over and over in my head Keep Calm Swim Strong I made the turn at the 10 mile turn around point and at that time I had done something I have never done before. I had swum farther in open water than I have ever swum before. The 2 miles back to the 10k turnaround marker were the hardest 2 miles I have ever swam the chop was getting bad and the current was coming straight on to me. I made it to the marker and just kept pushing myself. Before I knew it I was back to the 5k turn around marker and other than my shoulder hurting I was feeling great. At the last turn marker I took my last feeding this one took a little longer because I tried to stretch out my back and shoulder, I had about a mile to go and I was going to finish this thing in under 6 hours (that was my goal) I passed Goody as he was coming into the marker and he told Lang I’m coming for you Ricky Bobby. Lang told me what he had said and then I poured it on I left everything I had in the water, as I rounded the last corner I saw my wife and Kids cheering me on. I started to smile from ear to ear and I hit the finish marker. I had done it I swam 10 miles in less than 6 hours my time was 5 hours 18 minutes. I took my sweet time getting out of the water I got out and got my finisher medal and waited for Goody to finish. I had a great swim I got to swim with a world record holder for a crossing of Bear Lake as well as two of the only 3 to cross the English Channel from Utah, my friend Goody Tyler that amazed the open water community with his Catalina channel swim and I got to see all but 2 of my open water buddy’s and just marked off another one of my goals. This week it’s the Width Crossing of Bear Lake.
                                          Getting ready for the Start

                                             Me, Kate and Goody

                                         10 mile swimmers at the start

                                          Finishing

                                            Me and my paddler Lang

                                            Me and my buddy Goody

1 comment: